I'm Torn

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Two Posts in One Day, An Absolute Miracle!

Last May (2009) we went to Hawaii for Jonathan's Pediatric Dental Meetings.  We visited the Dole Pineapple Farm and rode the train that goes out into the farm.  When we arrived back at the "station," there was a lady with fresh pineapple pieces for everyone.  Not wanting to say, "No thanks, I don't like pineapple," as I am visiting the Dole Pineapple Farm (duh!), I took one and ate it. 


And I liked it!

So this spring I bought several pineapples to see if I could grow a pineapple plant.  All I did was cut off the top of the pineapple about 2 inches into the fruit part, plant it, and water it lots.  After a few tries, I finally figured it out and voila!  Here is one of my plants: 



All the old stuff on the bottom of the plant is from the original plant, but the bright green at the top is all NEW!  I am so excited, even though it might be 2 yrs before we actually get a pineapple.  So now I have 2 pineapple plants, 2 orange trees, 1 grapefruit tree, 1 lime tree (that produces all year), an apple tree, a peach tree (or it might be apricot, I forget), grapevines (that have yet to produce anything), and a pineapple guava plant that doesn't produce anything yet either.  Does this count as food storage?

I am still working on beautifying my blog. My 2yr goal is still in the works....I thought I'd clarify that since I promised to work on it 2 hours ago. ;)

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

For the record, she planted it and I take care of it. Just one of the duties of a house husband.

Kari Roberts Staker said...

And you water it very well and have kept it alive! Thank you!

The Staker Family said...

I think your blog is looking very nice. Also, I love Emily's video. I finally got around to watching it, I tried when it first went up was when it was not letting us view it and kept forgetting to try again. I am jealous of all of the trees you can grow in Arizona. We have pear and peach and apple, our apricot and plum died. Right now I am enjoying our raspberries though! Can't wait to hear if you get a pineapple on your tree someday!